After Cormandel, we drove over the hill to make our way towards Hahei. Here is the view looking east:
Earlier in the year, several locals had told me that the Cormandel had changed a lot since I was there in 1999. They spoke of huge mansions, million dollar bachs, and ugliness. I was very worried.
I was relieved to see that my worst fears weren't not realized. Then we drove to Buffulo Beach, while not my worst fears, I suspect this is what the people were talking about. It is a very odd place now. Lots of big fancy houses, at least by kiwi standards, that sort of reminded me of a less tasteful Sunriver. The point of the Cormandel is a place to get away from it all - its about 3 hours from Auckland and unlike Sunriver, the golf thing here just seems really odd to me. My car trip mates also made similar comments. It is like a suburb--- for vacations. yuck!
That said, the beach was really pretty and I enjoyed walking in the surprisingly warm water!


Saturday, July 21, 2007
Corrmandel 3 - driving to Hahei
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment