After the train ride, we went for a walk, starting in this very damp parking lot. I was yearning for my rubber boots, because a puddle like this is just too tempting. My trip mates though I was crazy I think as I eyed this mud puddle....

At the start of the trail you could some of wind damage from the recent storm that passed through a few days before our arrival. I am always impressed with how trails in New Zealand often start near development with a path between houses, fences, or yards that connects the bush trail with the road/parking lot. It is very nice to see that one built house doesn't block everyone from being able to access a nature reserve.
This view is looking back towards the train area and the town of Cormandel
and these views are looking west /northwest.

After we reached the top, we walked down to the harbour side. The tide was out, but I couldn't help being confused by these trees submerged in silt. I don't know if it was related to the storm or if its just the way they grow. Please comment if you know, I'm curoius!
Then at the end of the day, we enjoyed meals of cheese, cheese and more cheese. The little town has an amazing shop with fruit rollups/leathers, cheese, salami's etc.

The cheeses on the plate include cumin gouda and a basil cheese that was intense but good.
I still am cracking up about my purchase of fruit leather. People were stopping me in the street to ask what it was! I explained that it is fruit pulp that you dry in a deyhrator. People were very curious about how you eat it, think that it must be spread with something or eaten with crackers... I even had people wanting samples of this crazy exotic thing I was eating. I thought it was hillarious, particularly because I had bought the stuff just up the street and was something I just grew up with!
Saturday, July 21, 2007
Cormandel 2 - hiking around Coromandel Town
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment