Monday, June 4, 2007

Small victories..

One of my favorite comic strips is the K Chronicles by Keith Knight (the politics link is a classic involving a beehive - it ran a few years ago if I remember right). On a reoccuring basis, he runs a comic about Life's Little Victories.

One of my recent victories doesn't have the humour factor of those he shares with the world, but is definetely a victory for me and my wallet.

minor drumrol please - I have managed to go 3 months now without lossing my monthly bus pass. Yes the $95 dollar, irreplaceable pass that lets you travel all month long, without worry of transfers or reciepts, the only caveat is that you can't lose it. This is a huge challenge for me. But here if photographic evidendence that I have manage a three month streak of brillance and responsibility

My secret... I now store my bus pass in the clear plastic sheath in my wallet designed for your driver's licence. Seems fitting given that I never have to show my driver's licence (never ever been carded here, after a near 90% carding rate back in Massachusetts. HOnest, I haven't drawn any lines on my face or anything) but show my bus pass several times a day as I move about the city. Such a great system, no swiping of cares or making change, just flash the card and the drivers nods me on to the bus. It is like having a powerful VIP pass that lets you go anywhere, well so long as you limit yourself to the city limits, smallish parcels, and don't mind standing now and then.

The AAC clinician me has a secondardy goal - to save as many as I can for inspiration on what symbols to use to represent the various months - Boardmaker is very American-centred. I mean what kiwi kid is going to associate September with school starting, June with graduation caps, and October with Pumpkins. Any October pumpkin here has either had a very long journey or a scary run in with aggressive gardening techniques!

No comments: