Monday, June 4, 2007

Simple foods and sights

Today I decided to challenge myself.. not too much mind you, just a little. It is after all my first Queen's Birthday and I wouldn't want to carelessly invent a holiday tradition that I wouldn't be able to maintain in years to come. No I trod carefully today. I choose a simple task. What to do with the persimmons a friend gave us yesterday. I've never really experienced this fruit before. It is a bit like peeling an apple to reveal firm melon flesh. I also hear that persimmons must be ripe or you'll face an unpleasent astringent bitterness.

Luckily, these were tasty and ripe, although a flavour I still an unsure of.

In the end, I adatped a few recipes...

.. to come up with a tolerable persimmon tea bread with walnuts, cranberries, and ginger woven through. It was quite nice with slabs of butter (grandma ketty style) and a cup of T's homemade spicy chai

The simple fare acommpanied the view nicely. Each day the tree fern frons
changes a bit. I try not to forget to notice.

No comments: