Tuesday, June 5, 2007

June Chilies

Today I was annoyed by a fella riding my tail. It was a cop, so I opted to pull off the road at the first good pull off. And the place I pulled off was a farm stand shop. I went wild in there, even though I was running late. Five minutes later I had a mountain of yummy food.

Mushrooms, courgettes (which is how I think they spell zucchini here), yellow squash, broccoli, peppers, parsley, kiwifruit, spinach, bok choy, red mystery fruit, and an impulse buy -- chilies! I love it when my impulse buy is something like a bag of red chillies!


Okay, my other impulse buy was this fruit to the right. I am sure there is someone out there that can identify it for me - and reassure me that it is edible raw, cuz I just ate a bunch!

We took them home and attempted to recreate the spicy leek chicken dish we love from our favourite restaurant. The chopping is easy enough, even if I still hear grumbles about my idea of 'bite size' pieces, but I get lost when it comes to nuances stir fry flavours. So I pass that bit on to my handy fella...

While Trav mixed, tossed, and danced about the hob (kiwi for stove), I kept myself busy with the chilies.






Trav mumbled that we wouldn't have any fireside activities to do after dinner if I strung all the chilies before tea. I laugh, because our only source of heat in our partially insulated flat is a 10 inch space heater! There are times that I do curl up to it like a fire, but not to do 'fireside work' tasks - more like try to stay warm as I pull socks on in the morning

At any rate, here are the fruits of our labours tonight..



-

2 comments:

d3vo said...

The fruit you are eating is a tamarillo,
see here for the wikipedia entry.


It is a sharp a powerful tasting fruit, quite adult really. You can eat them raw, which is how I usually take them. There are yellow varieties too.

Christina said...

I've never seen the mystery fruit before, but it is lovely. How are you eating it?

So you strung all the chilies to dry? Your mention of a chili in hot cocoa sounds yummy, and something I may try myself this winter. My chili de arbol is covered with fruit, more than I'll even know how to use this year, so I'm going to have to get experimental.

Thanks for directing me to your blog! It's great!