Last week we debated whether to walk left or right around the Karori sanctuary. We opted for the left route. The wildlife sanctuary is fenced so that predetors don't enter. Part of the fence design is that there needs to be several feet of clearance between the fence and the bush, which creates a defacto trail around the outside:

It also is part of the local mountain biking options. The trail is split between down hill and uphill runs
We didn't fully appreciate the importance of staying to the correct side until we saw (well mostly heard as he was barrelling down the hill so fast) this fellow flying over a jump

So of course we had to have a play too, even if our bikes are the el cheapo invisible type


I wasn't aware at first that Traveler was trying to pretend to be on a bike..
I was just going for height

From there we continued up toward the windmill that can be seen from all over the city

It seems to be a brilliant project... Meridian Energy built it in this very visible sight to 'test' it in real life situation, but it also was a huge public awareness ploy.
As evidenced by the signs at the base of the turbine. The view may draw people, but most take a moment to read the company's plaques, which among other things state how many houses this turbine can support.

It has become an icon for many in the city. I know I love seeing it. But others are very against the wind farm the company is now planning in a nearby rural area. As I understand it the wind farm will have much larger wind turbines; which may or may not be quieter. I actually didn't hear any noise from this one until we were quite close. Nothing compared to the noise of the aircraft above and the lawn mowers below
We then opted to walk down to Brooklyn to catch a bus. I though this sign was hilarious
“caution slow down automatic gate operating”
I guess we were walking through a gated community that has public hiking trails (and public drive through) linked to it.
After 2 hours of walking, we enjoyed a very yummy meal at Cha *yes I felt like a complete dork taking this photo, but it was really that good that I felt the need to document*
followed by gelato at my new favourite splurge: http://www.kaffeeeis.co.nz/





1 comment:
I love you guys! Traveler looks very cool on his el cheapo invisible bike. Maybe you were on a unicycle?
Post a Comment