Monday, April 30, 2007

Taranaki

I recently visited the Taranki region. This is an incredible place. There is a large volcano surrounded by flat plains. The plains currently are mostly agriculture (think Tillamook dairy area), but it is amazing to wonder what it was like when it was still bush. This plain has many undulations, but overall is fairly flat elevation wise. It then leads straight to the sea. I remember as a child my parents trying to explain why they love Oregon to people back east. They said things like “where else can you go to the beach on the morning and then drive to the mountain for snow in the evening.” Well you could do that in half the time here!

Here are some shots I took from the plane as we flew in. They let us move seats in flight, and I did several times to get better window views.





That first night in town I went down to own of the beaches near the city centre (New Plymouth) to watch the sunset. It was such a lovely beach. Tons of surfers and people walking, and all as close to town as the waterfront is in Portland





 
I was particularly intrigued by this man who hauled his kayak down to the surf just at sunset. He clearly didn't have much time to be on the water after work, but he went for it anyway, enjoying the few minutes he had out there.
 
Here is another beach, about a 10 minute drive south of the city, and the view of the mountain as it first peaked out from behind the clouds. We tried to sit and watch the surfers, but I soon had sandfly bites all across my waist and backside. They are very different to mosquito bites and swell to the size of a quarter. I look like someone took a belt to me!





 
On another day, we went to a beach further south still. This time we walked rather than become a buffet for the sandflies. These fellows took it to another level. They didn't even bother go down to the surf to swim, they just laid in the river!


 
One of the more subtle treasures there was this little river that ran behind my hotel. I walked down there and couldn't believe that this bush clad stream was running through the town to the ocean!




We also drove down to Dawson Falls, which were very striking. There is a legend that someone was being chased and they hid from their enemies behind the water. One thing I miss here is the waterfalls of the Tillmook Forest.. so this was a welcome sight.




On out last day up there, we drove north to check out the White Cliffs area. The mountain was out all day, so I took a few photos of that. I also really enjoyed the bit of beach exposed at the White Cliffs area. We were there a bit too early for low tide, an hour later and we could have walked the beach portion of the walk. Instead we did a bit of the walk that was on top of the cliffs through farm land.





 
Trav also seemed to enjoy himself at the beach....
 
On the way back to the airport, I realize that the signs I had been seeing had nothing to do with fire...

I hope these aren't related to the “world class” methane plant that was in the area. They even had a visitor centre... though I can't imagine it being quite the kid mecca that the Tillamook cheese factory is back home.

And finally, here are some shots from the plane as we left





No comments: