Saturday, June 19, 2010

Thunder storms

Well I've been living in Italy now for a few months... and I am slowly finding words and ways of understanding being here. The first months were not easy. I was alone. I didn't speak the language. But mostly, I hadn't figured out a story to tell myself about why I was here.

I had a story in Oregon -- family, friends, mountains, and the Oregon Coast. Born and raised. Understood. It was where everyone knew my name.

I had a story in New Zealand -- creating a home in our new home, building community, planning to adopt a puppy, and finding a way to make my way as an AAC clinician... oh, and the rowing of course!

But here -- the words I found did not sound like me; Words like "trailing spouse" and "engineering student."

But then slowly slowly, I started finding ways to be me... I read what I wanted at school, I showed our first Kiwi visitors the sights, I added tomato to my pesto pasta (to the shock of the locals), I moved the bed so I could see the hills out the window, I laughed at the grammar attacks my roommate and I thrust upon each others' native language, I navigated 2 trips to the ER, and I started to feel the beauty in me again.
And as I did.. I started to be able to see the beauty of Genova, bit by bit, and this strange, old, sometimes grumpy city let herself gradually be revealed.
I still can't see it like some can, but I think I just might with time.

2 comments:

Di said...

You will :-) I'll let you know next time I'm there and maybe we could do coffee.

alisha said...

Shannon, thanks so much for stopping by my blog. It's great to meet another Norhthwester who's lived in New Zealand and Italy. (I was in Florence for a year in college). I hope you continue to find beauty in Genova. :)