Saturday, July 19, 2008

movie night

Last night Traveler took me out on a proper movie date. As much as we love movies, rarely do we do the movie date and we never did in the early days of our relationship.

But I this time pour myself into the role. I put on my new books and a sassy skirt. I wear my red scarf and a black over coat. Trav turns the car around and waits out front for me to dress – so I really was picked up. We chat about non-life changing topics on the drive with a lot of laughter through out. I tease and flirt. At the movies I let him order the tickets and then I order food treats, “Umm I'll have a small popcorn unless you have nachos” “no that is fine, can I also have M&M's – ooooh dark chocolate ones please” “oh and I definitely need a drink”

Cha-Ching. I am not a cheap date.

But the whole time I was thinking – wow my lover has taken me back to America. We pulled into a HUGE mall parking lot, and I thought “huh welcome to America.” And then I walked through the mall with all the glass store fronts and shiny tiles and though “hmm I'm back in America.” The escalator brought be back to Australia because it was a conveyor belt one that is more like a moving ramp than a stairs, but that feeling only lasted for a moment. The entrance to the movies was a huge dark carpeted foyer with lots of cardboard cut out movie stars. You walked and walked to get to the very small counter. I think I said aloud at that point “Traveler you've taken be back to America!” Every single movie on offer was a Hollywood blockbuster with only American accents – well okay, our movie featured spies who sort of had accents.

It is not often than you get such a full blown immersion into something from home when you live overseas. I am not sure if I should be happy or not about it, but it was impressively noted.

No comments: