Tuesday, March 4, 2008

ACC

One commenter on my last post mentioned that such play things would not be found in America... the whole "lawsuit waiting to happen" phenomenea.

Well tonight I was thinking about ACC... the people who bring you ads like this:



Tonight I was playing some sport. Another player appeared to dislocate a shoulder. I wish her a speedy recovery and having watched T's agony with his dislocated toe I hope she is treated quickly and with pain meds if that is their wish.

I ended up being the one calling 111 (NZ's version of 911). It was actually great to test the system, I feel safer already. However just as I was sorting out how to pronounce the name of the sports field, the injured player adamanently insisted that SHE DID NOT WANT an ambulance. In my head I heard "said as if she was uninsured/an illegal immigrant" and then thought "oh how American of me." I guess I am a bit dense for a speech therapist because what I didn't hear is that she has an American accent. Now I have no idea why she refused, but I would have done the same in America... you Americans know exactly why.... the $500 ambulance ride, the possibility of a several thousand dollar admission to the hospital, the inability to leave until you sort out payment, etc. I realized how much our behavior regarding our healthcare is shaped by our crappy health 'system' there.

What she probably may or may not have realized (and really when you are in that much pain you aren't open to new ideas or suggestions) is that here the ambulance ride would have been free, she would have had access to pain meds in the ambulance, and she would have been treated quicker by arriving at the A & E (accident/emergency, aka ER) via ambulance. Everyone was so confused why she made me hang up the phone (well 'cept the other Americans), and we're talking about 'harden up' Kiwis here who can suck up a lot of pain.

Why... the New Zealand ACC no fault accident coverage that covers EVERYONE on NZ soil. Yes, only residents get some of the 'work comp' like wage coverage, but bottom line - if you, even folks just visiting, get hurt here in an accident, your medical bills are covered and you can't sue. Now it isn't a perfect system, and I know my standards are really low after living in America, but I feel really blessed to be here when it comes to health care access.

On that note, here is one more ACC video for any of you contemplating a move:

2 comments:

d3vo said...

Nice posting by the way. Not sure sure you get your point across about a happy life in NZ with your smash your face and break your shin adds, but they are adds and a system that makes a lot of sense to me.

Anonymous said...

yeah that is true, but the ads are so far from what you'd ever see in the States I couldn't help but add them.