Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Boston Changes

On my last day, I took some time to just wonder around Cambridge to visit old haunts. I was amazed by how much change I saw in only a year...The alley by Club Passim was paved. I used to love to sit on the curbside listening to the folk music on sold out nights watching the rain drip and pool in the willy-woggy cobblestone. It used to look more like this:



But now is all smooth and bland... I am sure its better in some ways, but I loved how it was.The Green House restaurant, known for its mile high cakes (and honestly so-so diner food) is now boarded up. I don’t know if they are remodeling or what, but I loved to go in there. It just seemed like one of the few remaining bits of old Harvard Square – there didn’t seem to be much left of the old style Harvard Square by the time I moved there and now even more of it seems gone.
And shock of all shocks, Someday's cafe in Davis Square is no longer there.

This for me was where I would meet up with Traveler to study at the end of a long day in Grad School. It was a second home for me. Others I know think of it as the place you went to chill after a movie at the Sommerville Theatre. You can still hang out there, at it was already getting a bit cleaned up before I moved, but its now a completely different place. At least Johnny d's and diesel are still there.
Trav's old job location is now the American Red Cross
and the famous chocolate place in Harvard square is still there, but the space has been completely remodeled. Gone are the long velvet drapes and steamy tight spaces. The drinks seem smaller too – which given the wonderful richness is probably not completely a bad thing. Still strange. This was one of the first places I popped into when I first visited Boston back in the late 90's. I didn't even know I would be coming there for school, but had an inkling that this would be a spot I'd be passing through throughout my life.


I guess you can never really go back... unless you are okay with lots of change. Its easy to forget in a place like Boston that feels so historic how much change actually happens there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HI!
I spoke with Traveller just after you left. He pointed me to your blog. I anxiously awaited posts of your visit here.

Funny! I had no idea the old office is now the Red Cross, and I still work in the city!

Take care, give T a hug for us.

Laurie