So my hiking boots finally arrived from America last week. It was painful to purchase a new pair here at 3x the cost, when a perfectly good pair was sitting on the back porch at my parents house (or wherever I carelessly left them). 
The boots were a perfect excuse to go for a walk around the southern coast of Wellington. Wellingtons's shoreline is very much coastline, with few 'beaches" in the traditional sense. We borrowed a car and went to explore along the yellow line on the map below.
At the trail head, we saw a sign that intrigued us for a moment..

The last property at the end of the road was for sale. On one hand, absolutely amazing view of the ocean just across the road, on the other hand you are pretty isolated. This is only 15 minutes from the city airport, but you feel like you are in Timber or Trolley Park. Probably the only type of beach front property we could even consider affording in our life time :)

But one we put aside dreams of beach property, we started our walk...
Along the way are a few 'baches' which I assume are grandfathered in. They were classic kiwi baches, very no frills, and very much reminded me of something my father would design/create.

As you can tell, its a fairly bleak landscape, but also hauntingly beautiful with little surprises along the way. This pond area was striking in contrast to the surrounding areas. 
Just out of the shot are a bunch of male seals that I didn't notice until the walk back.
The beach here is all gravel and rocks, with a bit of dark sand. Its the type of beach that I find soothing for thinking and walking, but some might not enjoy as much.
The geology along the route is also very striking. I found myself wishing the my geo prof from Northwestern or my friend Alex was there to help explain it all to me.
the 'red rocks' that are the name sake of the trial..

Along the way, a couple local boys offered us a ride in their pick up truck. Trav hopped in, so I had no choice to follow. The boys said to stand and hold on to the bar. Major flashbacks to land surfing in high school. I was terrified and having the time of my life all at the same time. They didn't go very fast, but it felt fast with all the curves and funny grades. They dropped us off before they continued on to Devil's Gate, but we caught up with them as they drove back through it. There is a photo of them driving through something I NEVER would have considered taking a wheeled machine through - maybe a mule, but not a truck. 


Traveler finding his way through the path we'd just seen the truck go through. The rocks were like steps, I still can't believe the truck pulled it off...
On either side of Devil's Gate is the seals colony. I guess the male season hang out here, while the mothers and baby seals chill on the South Island. You might have to click on the photo and look closely, but there are probably dozens of seals in this photo. The rocks were covered with them. 
Then we made our way back toward civilization. 




1 comment:
I love the photo of you and Trav! Hiking boots are definitely a good excuse to try out a new trail. There looks to be so much hiking around where you live. It's fantastic. Rafe and I plan on getting into hiking as my knee becomes stronger. Hopefully by the time we visit you, we can join you on one of your wonderful hikes! (That is, if we haven't convinced you of Melbourne's infinite attraction and lost our NZ connection ;-)
Post a Comment