Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Food everywhere...

I don't know if it'swinter is setting in or if I've been working to hard, but I seem to have food on my mind quite a bit. I seem to see food everywhere.

Presently, I see Persimmon Ginger Cookies that I made from this recipe. I substitued dried cranberries and some of the white sugar with brown sugar. As I write, with an eye on the oven, I am enjoying one now!


But I also see food in more unique places than my kitchen. The other morning I was staring at the street median from a downtown bus stop.



And on the way back I grabbed a photo of what I think is one of the coolest winter landscapping ideas I've ever seen. Much nicer than the scaley ivy covered in pidgeon droppings you find further along the street.



In case you can't make much out of my blurry bus drive-by photograph- that's SWISS CHARD the city has planted in the median! Its so pretty, and a lovely way of letting those of us who want to show kids that food actually comes from somewhere before it gets to the grocery store do just that.

Or maybe my food thoughts are from the recent early mornings which often are a bit skimpy breakfast wise. Though I have a long standing love affair with sleep, these early mornings have brought me certain joys. The winter morning fog has a way of bringing back happy childhood memories. Fog was common throughout my childhood memories, but rarely presented itself during my uni days, and always feels like an embracing and accepting hug, hiding some of the uglier bits of the world for a time.

No comments: