Thursday, February 22, 2007

Traveler's account of kitchen brilliance

Traveler has asked me to share the following 1st person account:

Enchiladas were on the menu and I had nowhere to turn. I have captured this dish before using ingredients common in the new world; Tortillas, Filling (chicken & cheese), and Sauce. The filling was no problem because as every one knows, ancestral chickens flew to New Zealand on the trade winds. Upon arriving they noticed that with no predators all birds preferred the more grounded flightless way of life. The chickens saw it was a better way and this deep spirituality spread throughout the world wide chicken population. So chickens are common. But the other ingredients are not. The Tortilla is a rare species here but can be obtained if stalked with cunning. The Sauce is no where to be found. At first I assumed all was lost; but then I discovered a miraculous fact! Enchilada Sauce is nothing more than beef gravy with a little cumin, a little onion, and lots of ground chili pepper! I must say I was still
quite shocked when making this combination the first time and discovering that it tasted like Enchilada Sauce. And just like that I had all the ingredients...

But then hardship struck. My ingredients were prepared; My oven was preheated; and much to my dismay I discovered an acute lack of square baking dishes. No 9x13 inch pans were in my kitchen. Neither were the 9x9 or perky 8x8 sizes. (And yes I'm talking about pyrex *and* metal ones). I was desperate and full of despair. But dear readers do not wail and tear out your hair; for in a flash of brilliant, non-linear, out-of-the-box thinking (indeed out-of-the-universe) I created a solution so cunning that all the world's greatest minds would slap their
foreheads in unison creating an enormous peal of thunder. As I stood there surveying my kitchen through a veil of tears my attention was caught by the stack of pie plates obviously unsuitable for efficient conveyance of the ever cylindrical enchilada. In that moment I created
the wedge shaped enchiladas. Yes you heard me correctly my shocked and awed reader; Wedge shaped.

I am a kitchen genius.



No comments: