Sunday, January 21, 2007

Decisions decisions

So it seems to me that in selecting a rental you have a few tradeoffs... location, view, square meters, furnishings (i.e., a fridge) and quality.


We've seen good location, great price, amazing views, dogey furnishings (I wasn't sure that the fridge was a fridge) and grungy overall feel. When asked about the winter weather, I was told it gets “wild.” I'm thinking the Oregon Coast winter storms with rattling windows. But I was really really tempted by the views.






We've seen good location, ample rooms, small space, with wonderful windows. The kitchen layout was odd and the washer would have had to be used as counter space. I loved the sitting window and the cupboards all along one wall.




We've seen what was described as a “smart” flat, which seemed more like a college dorm with a tacked on kitchen... and a decent view.




We've seen small room (with a lovely sky light) in a small house where we were told that the bath is quite handy when it is too cold and no other way to get warmed up. Hmmmm and the flatmate had lived there for nearly 3 years. She was from a cold weather country, maybe that is
why she could handle it.





And we've decided on a smallish flat that is well designed with appliances. The story is that a couple owned the adjacent house, but when they started traveling they wanted to rent out the house but still have a place to stay when in NZ. So they remodeled the garage and put a flat upstairs. So it doesn't feel like a bunch of floor coverings and bits and piece thrown together to be 'good enough' for students. Its one L shaped room with a kitchen at one end and a bedroom area with a closet at the other. Sink is good, the windows are great, the bathroom has modern furnishing which means you can actually clean it, and there is a huge unfinished area for storage that probably would fit nearly everything we've shipped. Plus there is a 1 car garage space Traveler can use as a protyping/workshop area. I think he just likes the idea of starting his business in a garage! We move in the beginning of February and I'll post more photos then.




In the meantime, now I'll be trolling trademe for beds, tables, and drawers. Here are some pieces I like so far...






No comments: