Friday, January 2, 2009

Gifts of the Season

This year I gave toasted almonds, decorated presents with red chillis, and well basically focused on food throughout the season. Fresh strawberries and in season tomatoes at Christmas has some advantages over holly berries I must say.



There were few gifts under our tree this year, however when I returned from rowing camp all that had changed. Christmas fudge and alcohol drenched bread had arrived from Trav's dad – one of my favourite Christmas traditions. Too bad shipping is so expensive to NZ, I really loved the dense boxes of fudge we received in Boston. I would drive home (all 1.5 hours of the commute) dreaming of the bite of fudge that awaited me. It often lasted until the spring. I'll just have to be in the Pacific Northwest some winter soon.

My mother also sent her traditional advent calendar, but as I age the little presents definitely get nicer. Or perhaps I am more appreciative.

Regardless it is so nice to hold something in your hand that your family touched, wrapped, and packaged to send you. Makes one a bit homesick.

Laura also sent us the coolest remote control winged toys. I know that the goats, creak, and our cooking would be a draw for most people, but now we have remote control winged toys. That must be a lure to come visit, eh?

So tonight we danced to random tunes I downloaded, made salmon, lite the candles, and just took it easy.   What did you do to relax after the holidays wound down?


No comments: