Saturday, December 20, 2008

Signs of Christmas

Although a huge part of my heart is longing to be home with my family and friends in Oregon who are enjoying a white Chirstmas and a bit of extra time off from school,

I also am enjoying the signs that Christmas is coming to Wellington.

The poutakawa trees are in bloom.

The road crews are out.

Kirks and Stains's windows are decorated, although I am a bit confused by the upside down tree...

I was thinking of creating Christmas cards of Trav and I hanging upside with a greeting of Holiday Wishes from Down Under.  Perhaps they were thinking along the same lines.  Except they clearly have more energy that I do this year as they actually followed through with their idea, whatever the reason behind the upside trees.

After rowing today I finally went and got myself a tree.  It wasn't as romatic of an experience as in years past.  I went to a Petrol station near Pak N Save, handed over $15, and helped myself to  a tree from the pile leaning against the wall.  But I tossed it on the car by myself and tied it down all BY MYSELF.  It was a different kind of good feeling, but just as memorable as previous years.  

Once home, I needed to cut off a bit of my tree to help it drink.  Really it is just a cheaper subsitute for the cut flower bouquets I've been treating myself to lately, but a lot harder to trim. 

For a Christmas stand I filled a paint bucket with water and gravel.

I also had my friends E and D over who kindly helped me decorate.  Dai came down too to admire it and get in the season's spirit a bit.  

Then to really celebrate life, I treated myself to a present. I paid off one of my student loans.  It was pretty small one to start with, but 7 years later I no long have to look at this screen.  

Too bad the Sallie Mae screen will be part of my life each month for many years to come.  Oh well, baby steps. 

No comments: