After Traveler picked me up from the rowing regata, we made our way up the hill. He mentioned that our friend Ulrika was coming over for dinner. Adult conversation and a beer was sounding really good.
Then he asked me to look under my seat for my birthday present. When I pulled it out I teared up for the first of three times that night. Traveler had organized permission for us to get a dog form our landlords and selected a collar for the large dog we'll have sometime in the next few months.
When I arrived home I quickly sorted that it was a surprised party. So many dear friends carrying really thoughtful gifts. Traveler had cleaned the entire house and created a massive mountain of food. It was exactly what I needed.
This photo is for you Kristin - turns out that my food photos actually are entertaining for some:)
Then my friend Hazel requested that we go see the goats. She had been waiting for awhile I suspect for me to arrive. We quickly ducked out and around the back of the house and then I had my second waterfall of joyful tears:
Inside my very own chicken coop were the most incredible laying boxes. The whole design was very impressive. I knew that Trav, Dai, and Al had been scheming and building all weekend. When I called out thank you, Dai yelled down from the grilling area on the deck that the girls were coming the next day. They actually didn't arrive until today, but aren't they lovely!?!?
And they are already laying... or perhaps the people who shipped them thought it would delay complaints if they tossed in an egg for good measure... we'll see when additional eggs start appearing:
Which leads me to the third moment of tearful joy... at the party Hazel and Iris each played a song on their violins. Seeing Hazel's new confidence as she played through two songs, one the classic of early violin students - Twinkle- that she now knows all the parts to beautifully and one that she created herself. Then Iris stood up and shared Rosie, her violin, with the entire group. The sight of them playing brought tears to me eyes. Then their mother stood up and impressed me with Happy Birthday. I've been playing with her for the past couple months and know how long it takes her to learn a new song. Each one goes more quickly, but I know that she puts time and effort into learning each one. I am sure there will be encores throughout the year. 
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
30th birthday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You're welcome!
Post a Comment