Friday, November 14, 2008

creation

A few years ago I turned 27. I was in a phase of chopping off my hair. I had just brought home a small Christmas tree on a plane from Oregon to Boston.
And for my birthday, I got dressed up and Traveler took me out for dinner somewhere in Boston:


When I look at this photo I see so many things about my life before NZ. The shirt was bought at Saturday Market and is only worn on special occasions because the seams only have a few wearings worth of strength. I remember the shelves we designed and made using a hodge podge collection of timber we had. I remember the spectacular Christmas wreath my father-in-law had mailed us.

And the tiny proper Christmas tree that year:
I also remember this very thick scarf my parents gave me. Living in cold climates when most of your loved ones live in milder one leads to a HUGE collection of hats and scarfs. I never could wear them all, but I loved how each one had a story.

Well this one now has a new story. One of my internet friends was having challenging time and I needed to create something. So I decided to try fancy up the scarf.
Then this friend posted a photo of her new haircut, and I thought black polar fleece didn't really go with her new snazzy haircut, so I decided that the scarf needed to have more fancy fabric too. It became a reversible scarf, pink for snazzy do's and black for cold Canadian winters (as I now am the one living in a mild climate sending winter gear to cold-weather friends).


I sketched out a few fern leaf shapes on to fusible webbing. Then ironed on the leaves to hold them in place while I carefully appliqued with my very limited sewing skills.

Ta da!

A new creation with stuff I had laying around my house. Not all of my attempts at creation recently have been so successful, but I rather like how this one turned out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow. You're so creative and productive!