Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Pedestrian highway stroll

You never know when adventure is about to hit. Today’s adventure was walking with my best friend enjoying the new (and very temporary) pedestrian access to the highway in front of my parent’s house. This is typically a place of fast cars, log trucks, and the occasional drunk driver.
Today a semi got stuck and blocked the road. There were several semis and log trucks there, but there were parked which made it very safe for us pedestrians.
Laura and I went out to enjoy the puddles, rubber necking, and chatting with the cops and road crew. I guess there was a shooting last week in the county and several spills requiring road closures. I never would have known. They didn’t seem to mind at all that we were just hanging out in the road enjoying the peaceful walk accented by flashing lights and lit flares
Then we wrapped up the night with very yummy fancy salad. My friend Erin says that she has been enjoying my meal photos, so I’ve decidedto continue to photograph my meals occasionally.
Which segues nicely into a conversation I’ve been having with Traveler about how to organize a way to have shared meals with friends more often. We love having the lengthy dinner party or pizza night, where people gather and linger over food for hours. But we are trying to think of a way to add a more regular dinner thing into the busy week. Something where a few people gather for a quick meal together and then go back to their respective lives. A few decades ago people our ages would have their own kids and families gathered at dinner time, but now its often just single people, flat mates, or couples and I personally find it harder to cook a good meal for just 2 people. I also love hearing the interesting questions (and replies) that people pose during shared meals. I often never would have thought to ask certain things that a less familiar person might ask Traveler, and thoroughly enjoy the responses! So if any one has any ideas or comments about super clubs, or rotating dinner nights, or weekly shared meals – feel free to let me know.

It would be so fun to have people over for an hour on a weeknight, just enough time to eat and chat, but not too much time that they can’t get their evening chores done or attend other events.

No comments: