Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Journey to Boston

I have forgotten the true essence of the US domestic red eye flying experience. The brusqueness for the TSA officials, the wondering around in socks looking for your bags after Xray, the negoltiations with the food vendors to see if your food could be zapped warm, and the search for wireless... I didn't find free wireless in the Pittsburgh airport, but did find a lovely desk area to work at – well until I was firmly but politely told that that area was closed as the last flight has already left that gate. My flight was out of the gate next door which was full of people, so it felt like a very honest mistake that I wandered over to the open area, but perhaps there were secret signs that I missed regarding the 'closed' nature of gate 28. I seem to miss a lot of invisible signs of proper behaviour when traveling in the USA. It must be very scary if you don't speak English!

At 3 am, on my watch, I was very ready for a shower... as was my plane.
I have never seen a plane this dirty in my life. The inside was quite clean though, and as much as I tried to remember my limited aviation knowledge, I couldn't really think of anything seriously wrong with flying a dirty plane. I just hoped it didn't speak to poor maintenance. It was entertaining to see the 'wash me' wing note with the ever changing background of clouds and fall foliage below.

As always, I was happy to see Boston revealing through my small porthole above the wing.
I am finding on this trip that I am most enjoying the places I've already lived. The other places are lovely in terms of seeing friends and understanding their daily lives and the spaces they move through, but they aren't as interesting in an of themselves as places I've lived, hope to live, or overseas travels where I know it is unlikely that I'll ever be lucky enough to return.

No comments: