Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Things that puzzle and/or delight me

As you can imagine, moving to a new country - even one with many similarities to home - has its suprising and puzzling moments. Here are a few things from our daily lives...

First off... I typically loathe soda. The bubbles upset my tummy, throat, and nose. However, the combination of lemon, lime, and bitters in this soda is something I immediately fell in love with! the cap design I find clever too.

There are also things around the house that I find clever. While not unique to NZ, they are not common in America...

Here electrical sockets are turned off with a switch:

And multiple ones  are labeled... such as fan, light, light in the bathroom, or in the kichen waste and light.  and here our stove and oven:

Which leads me to one of the puzzlers... we still don't understand what these oven icons mean...

We spent weeks trying to figure out how the stove vent worked... its so clever that it puzzled my simple mind. You pull out a ledge and that activates the fan and light, while increasing the coverage area.
 
When not in use, you can tuck it away!

And while I am really impressed and intrigued with the ubiquious towel warmers

I only seem to be able to get one line of towel warm and dry before I start wadding the thing up around the warmer only to be greeted with semidamp towel when I next shower....

Of corse that reminds me of the creative upside down placement of the clothes dryer that I've observed in several houses.

This saves space and prevents the need for step ladders when you wish to turn on the equipment. That said, when on the dryers seem less powerful than what we're used to state side and often only work when drying a few things at a time However, I rather like this in that it motivates everyone to use clotheslines, something that most of my apartment leases annoyingly banded back in America.

And the best suprise is when Traveler makes me a Kiwi breakfast of poached eggs,
 fried tomato, and bacon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The oven where I live now also has those symbols and I have no idea what they mean. Every time I use the oven (which is twice so far) I have to just keep changing setting until I find the one that makes the heat start! One day I really should get around to asking Adam and Fi what the symbols mean! (Adam and Fi being my housemates who actually own the house so may have a better idea of the symbols' meanings

Grover20 said...

I think I stayed at there house once.. but didn't take a look at the oven. This is what my father offered:

"Stove symbols are radiant heat with and without fan, microwave (stacked lines) w/wo fan and fan only. "

Takes an engineer to figure out the design thinking of an engineer I reckon.