Pak N Sav.
This is a NZ grocery store know for low prices. In America that often means huge box stores and dubious labor practices. Not that Pak N Sav is all that small, and I know nothing about its labor practices, however I do now know what its name means. As you probably gathered, you pack your own groceries. What I didn't realize on my first trip that the check out area is set up so that you really need to use a shopping cart (or trunddler) even if you only have a few items. I was the fool carrying a handful of things in my bare hands, confusing the poor check out girl who then had no where to put them. You see, the cashier takes everything off the belt, scans it, and then places it in a cart at the end. You then take that cart, and place the one you shopped with in its place for the next person. Also, you must request and pay 5 cents for each grocery bag. I really love this as it encourages people to reuse bags and I really enjoy packing my own bags just the way I want them. However, I was clueless as to the fact that I was suppose to take all my goods to a separate section to do this packing.
Also did you notice that I said the cashier scans your items... that is all they do, well and that make change and be very friendly, because the customer deals with the PLU #s and weighing and tallying produce separately. I was the ignorant American gathering produce in bags and carrying them about. Until I happened to bump into a line of people at a scale in the produce section.. Turns out you place each of your bags on a scale, use the touch screen to select the item, it then reads out the number of kilos and total price, at which point you press print and stick on the tag with a barcode to your bag. Similar process to what the kind people do behind the deli counter in America. Once I realized the system, I really liked it as I could suddenly get instant feedback on what exactly a kilo of tomatoes looks like and how much it costs.
And then I made the same mistake at the bulk food section. I merrily went along writing PLU numbers, very impressed that there was a grease marker still attached to the cord, on all my bags. Yea.. there probably is a grease marker because NO ONE needs to use it unless your short term memory can't hold the 4 digit PLU number as you side step 2 feet to the scale, and type it in so you can print a sticker to attach to your bag. Then relinquish the scale to the next person as you go get your next baggie of stuff. Oh, again instant feedback is good... did you know that $1.98 per kilo of cashews still means that a couple handfuls is nearly $NZ6.00. Thats like a meal at a really cheap Indian restaurant, or 1/3 of a meal at a regular one downtown! Sheesh – but it is yummy, no mess protein.
All this means that when you arrive at your final destination, the lines are very fast as the cashier swipes each item, including produce and bulk food, and places it straight into a trunddler. Rather clever if you ask me – I just wish there had been a few visual supports posted for clueless newbies like me.
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Another Puzzler
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That sounds fantastic. In Australia we have scales in the vegie section of supermarkets so you can guess at how much you will be paying, but nothing that actually tells exactly what it will be.
In places like Kmart and Target though the latest thing seems to be not ctually putting price tags on things such as dvds, cd, books. Instead there are scanners around the store that you take goods to and scan them to find out the price. This is much less consumer friendly! I just hope that the number of shelf price tags saved is worth it!
Here I sometimes see electronic price tags with bar codes. Each 'tag' on the shelf has a little mini LED screen that reads the price. The store can then change them without paper - and you the customer can actually see the price. Target stateside uses the zapper things, but just for registering for weddings. Pak N Sav has them too, but I think its so you can ring it up as you go...
Post a Comment