As my dear friend Laura would say.. welcome to my world. Its a slightly different world since we moved to the other side of the world, on the other hand as the store sign I pass on my way to work says its strangely familiar. Traveler and I arrived in Wellington, NZ on the 15th of December to a very kind welcome by my new bosses. Not only did they deliver us and all our bags to a house they had help arrange for us, but provided a yummy basket of food treats. Several items were things I never would have thought to buy, but I really loved. Since then I've had my first week of work, my first 'summer' Christmas, and lots of initial impressions.
I hope to use this space to share photos, impressions, and stories about our experience as immigrants. I didn't really think that Iwould feel so much like an immigrant, but I do. I was particularly touched listening to a public radio program here on Kiwi volunteers helping politcal refugees who have just arrived in New Zealand. These volunteers set up the house, meet the families at the airport, and even prepared a meal that might resemble one from their home. This particular story was about a family from Burma. Then every week the volunteer stops in to help with shopping, learning how to use the stove, or whatever else crops up (http://www.radionz.co.nz/__data/assets/audio_item/722704/sptm-20061224-1215-Spectrum_for_24_December-wmbr.asx).
It was amazing how many things I too had struggled with and had wished someone had be near to shop me the ropes. For example things that took some learning
- how to weigh and print price labels for your produce at Pak 'n Sav
- how to get around on public transport
- what all the symbols on the stove and oven mean, still don't have this one sorted
Other things take no getting used including friendly bus drivers that make change for you when you board, great fish and chips, the lovely view from our current rental, and the great local wines.
Monday, January 1, 2007
Welcome to my world....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment